Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hip Hop Realness?

Hip Hop Realness, is there such a thing? Throughout the article different white Hip Hop artists were discussed and if they were real. Well I feel that the article had strong points that I could agree with. The first artist they talked about was Vanilla Ice. Yes the name says it all, with the success of his first single “Ice Ice Baby,” everybody thought that he was going to be a huge success. Well after that one hit he could never reach that type of success again, so what caused it? I think that from when he first started he wasn’t being “real.” He tried to portray this image that he really wasn’t. With hip hop it’s a lifestyle, so most of the rappers that are rapping about events actually went through them. Not Vanilla Ice, he lied about where he grew up and the high school he went to. That right there already makes me feel like if you can’t be honest with little information like that, then how can I believe you in a rap song? With hip hop to me it’s all about credibility and being who you are. If he would’ve started off by letting people actually know who he was I think he would’ve done much better. Like today there are several rappers who say they didn’t have the gangster lifestyle and all that other stuff, but people still respect them for their lyrical content because at the end of the day you’re getting the truth. So what if Vanilla Ice confessed to his true lifestyle, would that had made him a better artist? We will never know now, cause I doubt he’ll get a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment