Thursday, April 15, 2010

World Cup 2010

Every time I am watching any network affiliated with ESPN, I see a commercial for the upcoming World Cup in South Africa. I usually get goose bumps every time I see one of them. The World Cup is one of the biggest sporting events in the world and it means so much to me as well as millions around the world. This year the World Cup is being held in South Africa. No nation from Africa has ever hosted a World Cup and therefore, there is a lot of pressure on South Africa to have a good showing and host a great tournament. Some fear there will be terrorist attacks, but this just seems to because it is in Africa, a place of outlaws and corruption. There is also fear because a couple of months ago the Togo National Team was attacked while they were on their bus heading to the African Cup of Nations. Several members of their squad were killed. But this was no where near South Africa. I believe that Africa will host a wonderful tournament, however. The World Cup is always a beautiful event. One of the most interesting things about this World Cup is that here in the United States, people seem to be more excited and more aware of this World Cup more than any other. Soccer is still becoming more popular here. And now even every game played will be broadcast on either ESPN or ABC. I hope for the United States to have a great showing in the World Cup and if we progress out of our group, which we should, it will be a success. I just hope we can have as much magic as we did against Spain last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment