Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"I wish they taught shopping in school."

Not long after talking about the Barbie Brigade and pranksters I happened to come across an episode of The Simpsons. The basic of the episode was the toy company was releasing a talking Malibu Stacy doll. This was the greatest thing to Lisa because she had always wanted to hear Malibu Stacy talk. When she gets the doll the sayings were like the Barbie says. Let’s make some cookies for the boys. Lisa gets upset complains to her friends who don’t care except one girl whose doll sounds like a man. Lisa goes to the creator of Malibu Stacy and they create a new doll that is the complete opposite of Malibu Stacey. It begins to be a big thing until the company that produces Malibu Stacy adds a hat to the talking doll.

I was funny for me because it was like perfect timing. It was a few days after class when the material was still fresh in my mind. I never would have made reference to the man Malibu Stacy to the Barbie Brigade. I know it is a cartoon but it was still a little creepy to see the girls not reacting to the dolls. They were like oh well it is Malibu Stacy and we love her. It makes me think to the dolls I see in Wal-Mart. The bratz dolls are horrible because they are all about shopping and making it seem like it is ok to be a brat. It is weird to look at where dolls were when I was a kid to the dolls now.

No comments:

Post a Comment