Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Social Networking

Today it seems as if everyone has a facebook, myspace, twitter, or maybe all three.  I however, have refused to succumb to the growing trend and I feel it is my responsibility to give a perspective from someone who chooses not to have a social networking presence.  I will admit, at times I have been tempted to get a facebook and I have felt a little left out because I do not have one.  But for the most part, I am happy that I do not have a facebook and I hope I will never need to get one.  The main reason I do not want a facebook is because it seems to be more trouble than it is worth.  I know girls in my sorority have gotten in trouble for having “inappropriate” things on their profile and I know that many employers have started looking on facebook to check up on applicants.  The thought of someone “facebook creeping” me makes me uneasy.  I would hate for someone to look at my profile and judge me based on those things instead of actually meeting me and getting to know me as a person and not as a profile.  Every time someone gets over the initial shock when I tell them I don’t have a facebook, they tell me that that’s a good thing and to never get one.  Some people tell me they wish they never got one, but they couldn’t give theirs up now because they don’t know what they would do without it.  Also, I am always hearing about how addicting it is and how many hours people waste on facebook every day.  I already feel like there are not enough hours in the day.  I don’t need anything else taking up hours of my time.  With my own negative opinion of facebook, and the positive reinforcement I get from people who have one to never get one, I feel good about my decision to never get a facebook and I think those who wish they didn’t have theirs should man up and delete it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment