Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walk A Mile In Her Shoes

Today I attended the 'Walk A Mile In Her Shoes' event at LaFolette Field. The event was to spread awareness of domestic violence against women. I think that this was very fitting given the current climate of the University. (Ball State Ass Slapper) I felt that the volunteers did a great job with the event... Especially by having the BSU Swim, Basketball, and Football Players run and do relay races in shiny cherry red pumps. It was definitely a sight to see and I was so glad to be a part of it all.

Even though the event and the atmosphere was light-hearted, the topic of domestic violence is a serious one. Everyday, women all over the world are subjected to some sort of violence. Albeit, not always physical, this violence can manifest itself in several ways. For example, there is the constant verbal abuse from the mouths of men or even sometimes from ourselves. The words bitch and whore are now used as terms of endearment (that’s my bitch, I love all my ho’s, etc.) or even a badge of honor (I’m the baddest bitch, queen bitch, 5 Star Bitch, etc. -> very popular with female rap stars)

In addition to that we have the sexual abuse that is always prevalent but more often than not, in a college situation, hidden in a shroud of comedic funjoy (after all boys will be boys). The Ball State Ass Slapper Incident was of course hilarious to most because of the way the University chose to inform us, but what those women had to endure was pure evil. I think that if slapping ass and calling names on this campus is going to become the norm, I may just have to rally the troops, cause a ruckus, and start another revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment