Monday, April 12, 2010

First To Do It

It was news to us all when Ellen first came out of the closet, not so much that she was gay because I feel that was sort of obvious, it was that she finally revealed her true sexual identity. When Ellen came out she set the stage high for other famous celebrities to be themselves. By embracing her homosexuality she felt that she was being true to herself. In pop culture today we tend to look down on homosexuality. That’s why I feel most people if they are homosexual tend to keep it to themselves, especially when you’re a celebrity because your life is always being watched. So I was shocked to find out that Latin singer Ricky Martin opened up the world that he was homosexual. After all these years he finally decided to let it be known. I wonder how it feels to keep a secret like that for such a long period of time. I’m sure your close friends and family would know but still you’re living a lie to the public and that has to suck. I guess he finally was tired of living a lie and wanted to be happy again. So does the public accept him more now that he came out and just forgets about the years he lied or to they just completely right him off period? I don’t think we should hold that against him, I think he was trying to protect himself against this judgmental society, and now he felt comfortable enough to reveal his secret. But would any of this been possible without Ellen doing it first?

No comments:

Post a Comment