Thursday, April 15, 2010

You Have 0 Friends

The television show South Park capture the nations obsession with facebook perfectly. I would post a link to the episode, but sadly it was taken off the comedy central website and I couldn't find another link. Anyways, as a country we seem to be wholeheartedly obsessed with facebook and other social networking sites, i.e. twitter, myspace. I can only think of one of my friends that does not have a facebook. Personally i will admit to being sucked in. I check my facebook most mornings, and most times I get on the internet. I do not however do anything besides socialize, find bands, and play tetris. No, I do not want to water your crops, join your mafia/werewolf/vampire/whatever army.
I'm not trying to make the point that social networking sites are bad, because they aren't. Social networking sites are great at doing just that, social networking. However, when people sit at their computers for hours on end rather than actually socializing in real life is where the problem occurs. When people become more concerned with the number of friends they have on their page rather than the amount of friends they've seen in a day, they have developed a problem. It is not facebook's fault that these people are doing this either. The more tie we spend on these sites the more money we're pumping into the corporations. It's perfectly fine to use your facebook to keep in contact with people, it's silly to say otherwise, but spending an enormous amount of time on these sites is not a very good use of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment