Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Social Networking

The first social networks I remember were xanga and my space. xanga was basically a blog page where you wrote your info and made friends and read there posts. You had a picture and posted on walls. Myspace became the upgrade with some more features and posting pictures. I can honestly say I never had a myspace but I did have a xanga. I did not post frequently but I had one to be cool with my friends. when facebook started it took me a while to catch on. I fought it at first but then i decided to get one. I regret this decision. Everyone says they use it for networking but most people talk to their friends on there that were already friends. they knew the people to begin with and see them frequently. Now it is a second world that some people live in constantly. With facebook and twitter on your phone it never leaves your life. It was talked about in class that "its not official, unless its facebook official." what have we come to. people will not believe I am in a relationship until its on my facebook? I do not have a twitter and do not plan on getting one in the near future. Theres just no need for anyone to know whats going on in my life step by step. what happened to calling a buddy and catching up? now I can get on his page and find out whats going on in his life with out even talking to him. Social networking is just taking away from personal interaction and putting it on the Internet. Facebook can basically do everything now so why use anything else? does anyone see the problem in this? I do not want to be too hypocritical because I get on facebook at least once a day. But i often think how much time, if i totaled it, that i spend on facebook or social media in my life time. people say if you sleep to much you will sleep you life away. Well I am starting to feel like people are facebooking their life away or tweeting their life away. Is it going to change? probably, but honestly It is just going to move to the next social networking trend. Technology is great, but is this bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment