Thursday, April 15, 2010

Saved By The Rhetoric

When trying to find a topic for this blog, I had a unique idea in which I wondered "Could I apply Saved By The Bell to class material?" in which I replied, "Awwww yeaaah." The first thing I thought of was the "Cool Hunting" video we watched in class. Zack was the definition of a teenage rebel in his time with his zany pranks and dating record. It was apparent how cool he was by the technique of "breaking the fourth wall" the producers used in his scenes. Any brand would have loved to have him as their model, as he could have created a whirlpool of financial gain for any company aimed towards the show's young viewers.

Another important term from class came to my mind which probably wouldn't have been thought of otherwise, but there are also elements of Marxism in the show. The principal, Mr. Belding, towers over the students as if watching their every move, especially in the case of the school's biggest rebel, Zack Morris. Zack seemed to be every kid's idol in the way that he stood to liberate the oppressed, which in this case is the student body of Bayside. Our ideology of a principal may see this rebellion toward them as normal, but now that we are adults we can see that they are just trying to do their job not unlike the turmoil we face in the workplace ourselves.

I guess I would have to say that the biggest reason I picked Saved By The Bell is due to the way we were introduced to pop culture in this class. When we ask ourselves why we study pop culture, a good answer would be that it shapes our attitudes, beliefs, and opinions. Has Saved By The Bell not done this for you in some way or another? For me it introduced me to a role I feel I played in school at times, the role of Zack "The Prankster" Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment