Thursday, April 15, 2010

Oops, I need one more :/

So here I am thinking I'm doing so well. I have my blogs done by Tuesday. I had a clever title for it, I felt it was a good wrap up, and then silly me, I didn't read the syllabus close enough to see that all blogs must be at least 250 words long. Oops. Now I need another one. Crap, I'm scrambling trying to come up with another topic an my mind is blank. Then I pull my notebook out of my bag and out pops the Baghdad Burning blogs and eureka I have it.

When we read the Baghdad Burning blogs in class I was so struck by the words and the stories they told. I enjoyed our in class discussion. I think a variety of valid points were made. We talked primarily about the validity of the blogs as a news source. And even though I understand other people's points of view I think what is still the most important part of the blogs to me is their message and that it is getting out there. The novelty of a woman (or a woman's point of view) being told in the middle of a major conflict in an area of the world where supposedly women are oppressed was so awesome to me.

Then I went to my favorite website, Amazon (yikes, I know right?), to see if the book forms of the blogs were on there and one of my favorite Amazon features 'Other customers also bought' popped up a bunch of books about womens' perspectives of major conflicts. Now some of them were fiction but many were not. And this got me to thinking about how we aren't really made aware of these books. We know about the latest Nora Roberts and Dan Brown books but not about these stories of real life struggles by women. And I wonder why? I know that most people (myself included) who read for pleasure want to escape to a less complicated world but it seems to me that the real life struggles should be more emphasize in curriculums and by the media. Basically this all boils down to concerns about the superficiality of our society. (No judgment here, I can be as superficial as the next, just wonderings.)

Okay, I really think this is my last one.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment