Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Ball State Ass Slapper"/Social Media

Everyone seems to have different opinions regarding the recent "Ball State Ass Slapping" incident. I, with many other people, believe this issue has been blown out of proportion. I believe the reason why this incident got blew up in the media/social media because the way it was addressed. The email that was sent out to all Ball State students was poorly written and worded completely wrong in my eyes. I think if the email would have said two women have been assaulted, it would get the point acrosst. If you think about it, if the assault was more taken more seriously the email would not have went into detail about what actually happened. I believe that to be a violation of privacy to the victims.

It seems to me like the people who feel like this issue is not serious think this to be a joke. I hear people say "It was probably some kid still drunk from the night before.." etc. And if it had been verified that it was, it would be more comical. But the big idea is, these ladies felt threatened enough to contact the police. Obviously to the victims, this was not a joke from some guy still drunk from the night before.

Overall, I don't personally have a major standpoint I am trying to make that the incident was right or wrong in the way it was handled. The only thing that I want is the safety and security of the victims. I do not believe they should be attacked for feeling threatened. If it was me in the sitatuon, and I honestly felt like the guy could have came back and went further with the assault, I probably would have contacted police too.

No comments:

Post a Comment