Thursday, April 15, 2010

Feminism

Oh feminism, how I love thee. Feminism is a great. I love that now women have close to equal rights as men. I hope I am alive to see the day when women make as much money as men as well as have all the same privileges. There is one problem I see with feminism, however. It seems to me that women want to be treated equally to men. If that is the case then they should want to talked to the same way and be treated physically the same way. It only seems right that if they want to have all the same privileges of men then they should treated the same in all ways. For instance, men talk differently to women as they do to men. With women it is always nice to be polite and not use direct criticism, but when I talk to a guy I can be more straight forward with him and directly criticize him because we understand that we're not trying to hurt each others feelings. Also, how come it's ok for a guy to give another guy a pat on the butt, however if he does that to a female, it's considered sexual harassment? I understand there are times when a touch is not wanted, but this doesn't seem equal to me, which is what I thought feminism was all about. Now I understand this blurs gender roles. But this begs the question, how equal do we really want to be? How equal do women want to be to men? And do all the equalities they are striving for come at a price?

No comments:

Post a Comment