Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ellen

Ellen Degeneres' "coming out" story and the way it was portrayed in the media is somewhat of an absurdity to me. It is amazing that Ellen got through her "coming out" phase with the media and came out with a TV talk show that has about 4.8 million viewers per episode. I find it remarkable that a lesbian could have as much success in this nation as Ellen, especially because of the stereotype that we (the U.S.) are a predominantly Christian nation. Whether I support her lifestyle choice or not, I'm amazed at the widely shared idea that Ellen is about honesty rather than homosexuality, and widely shared acceptance of her sexuality. I think the honesty is a great thing to admire her for, but I also think about how I wouldn't want my children growing up with Ellen as a role model without them knowing where my beliefs stand. It is something that I believe is wrong. Unfortunately, in terms of privilege in society, I would nearly be considered the epitome of a hypocrite because I am a white, heterosexual Christian male. In the college environment and our current society in general, this puts me at a tremendous disadvantage to have my beliefs heard. At least I feel as though a lot of people don’t care about, or want to hear about what I believe. Nevertheless, another thing I find interesting is that a high percentage of viewers for her sitcom in the 90s were a bunch of heterosexuals. I always wonder why it’s common for heterosexuals to have such a fascination with homosexuality. Bringing this back on topic to something we discussed in class are the systems of control that govern mainstream media. I know that my beliefs and opinions reflect this sense of control that there is with the media, being that I don’t agree with homosexuality and that I’d like TV shows to stay pretty clean, which conforms to my definition of what is appropriate. It is hard to not want to have control over what the media is putting out there, especially if you are a heterosexual Christian. When the whole rest of the world is seemingly on the opposite side of the coin as far as what is okay and what isn’t okay in the media, it is hard not to be frustrated. I would just be conforming to the world if I said I agree with homosexuality. If I am being as authentic and true to myself as a Christian as much as Ellen was about being a lesbian, my honest opinion is that I am glad that she is not heavily discriminated against because of her sexual preference. That is the last thing I would want to put her through. I am glad that so many people can see past the fact that she's a lesbian and move on. I can even see through that. I think she's funny, and I greatly admire how she gives to people in need. I guess I mainly just wanted to point out that many beliefs of the past are very non-existent in our lives and it discourages me to know that my accepted belief system is being slowly washed away in this society.

No comments:

Post a Comment