Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Parasocial Relationship

I know that this concept was discussed a while ago in class, but it was never something I really gave much thought until this past week. I remember talking about it in class and wondering to myself if I had a parasocial relationship with anyone and pretty much convinced myself I did not. I did not actually realize until Spring Break that I really do have a parasocial relationship with someone famous. I came to this realization while watching a music special on PBS with my dad. The special was a Michael Buble performance, who happens to be my favorite performer, and the subject to my parasocial relationship. As he was singing, I found myself rambling off random facts about his life, where he grew up, his parents, his favorite hockey team, how he got started in music, etcetera. It was not until about half way through the show when my dad looked at me and said "You really know a lot about this guy and he doesn't even know you exist," that I realized it was a little weird. It seemed odd at first but the more I thought about it, I knew I was not alone. I think that everyone has a parasocial relationship of some sort. Even if someone does not come to mind automatically, I am sure that if you think long enough, you can think of some celebrity or sports star or musician that you know way too much information about and secretly think that if you were to meet someday, you would be the best of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment