Friday, March 5, 2010

Chuck Norris and Toddler Pageants

(Yes, seriously – you have to read it now, right?)

Like Katie, lately I cannot watch a show without thinking about if it is reinforcing stereotypes or resisting them (and for that I thank this class and my sociology of media class). Last night, I was watching a Family Guy episode (I’m sure the title is starting to make sense now, huh?) – This episode is called “Boys Do Cry.”

Before I start talking about this episode in more detail, I think Family Guy is brilliant. In my opinion, it is the perfect example of an inflected oppositional text. In some ways, it reinforces certain beliefs, such as a nuclear family and heterosexuality. But in other ways, this show pokes fun at what we believe as normal or desirable. As you’ll see in this episode, it also pokes fun at media effects studies (which tend to blame the media for problems).

This jab at media effects can be seen at the very end of the episode, when Peter tells parents they shouldn’t blame the television shows. Instead, they should take responsibility and maybe not let their kids watch the show in the first place (See – brilliant! I agree with this statement to a point because I don’t think viewers are led to identify with characters on Family Guy, aka anti-models). I researched this part of the episode, and it is actually in response to the Parents Television Council, who has criticized Family Guy about the themes and language in the show. They frequently name Family Guy the worst of the week on their web site.

Another main focus in this episode is gender. The title of the episode, “Boys Do Cry,” goes against superficial gender markers. After a little more research, I found that this episode is actually a parody of the film, “Boys Don’t Cry,” which is based on a story of a transgender man (if you are interested, you should look this Family Guy episode and this film on Wikipedia to see the similarities).

In the episode, Stewie competes in a beauty pageant, dressed as a girl, of course (more superficial gender markers being pointed out – only girls compete in beauty pageants). When Stewie’s wig accidentally falls off, the audience calls him a “queer-o-sexual” and tries to rush to stage to attack him. Here, Family Guy seems to be challenging society’s common beliefs about gender markers (beauty pageants, homosexuality, etc.). Some could see it as reinforcement, but I do not believe that is the intention.

This episode also portrays clichéd stereotypes of the south (most of this episode is based in Texas), religion, George W. Bush and anything else remotely right-wing. It also pokes fun at how 9/11 changed our views about a whole ethnicity. Whether these are reinforcing stereotypes or opposing them, that is for you to decide. But in my opinion, I think Family Guy challenges what society believes as appropriate. Sometimes my immediate reaction to parts of Family Guy episodes is to feel offended, but after thinking about it, it seems to resist more than reinforce.

This episode is full of spoofs, both reinforcing and resisting. I could not find mini-clips of this episode, but you can check the whole episode out at this link: http://familyguy-tv-show.sequd.com/season-5/episode-15-boys-do-cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment