Friday, March 26, 2010

NO LOGO -- opinion

Yesterday's class was about the video 'No LOGO' with Naomi Klein and the whole hype around brand logos and the globalization of that logo. Our class got into a huge discussion of how 'our generation' is basically numbed to the whole business of globalization and that to catch our attention and get us to change is an overwhelming task even to merely talk about. I really wanted to make sure that I didn't make myself sound like I think globalization is a bad thing or that the big cooperations of our world are somehow tearing our society a part. I think what is more important is to see the difference in our culture to other cultures that don't have such massive amounts of media and advertising in our faces all the time. I would think that somewhere between the two extremes is a nirvana of happy consumers, workers, and a place where all people are critical analysts. I think this is where our discussion of culture jamming and pranking comes into play. We wanted an answer to how do we keep the big heads at the top to come down and play on a fair field... well, I think although some lack the desire to be apart of a resistance, most people our age would be thrilled to, for the lack of a better phrase, bring the man down. In my opinion, our generation lacks a leader and a message. Our actions are to show others that this kind of extreme globalization and logo mania isn't something we should fall trap to. By pranking the message is sent. Then to recruit people to a cause and a stance, you need a credible leader for people to rally behind. Hopefully the future will bring emerging new leaders that can bring the people together to be smarter, more analytical, and more aware of what the 'big man' is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment