Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Change in thought processsss

When I signed up for this class I didn't actually think it would change my in any way or the way I think about and view things. I just picked this class because I needed more comm classes for an extra minor I recently picked up. But it has actually changed the way I see things. I won't say that I am a super rhetorical thinker by any means but I do see things a little deeper than I had before. Well, deeper may not be the best description but I do see things differently. I watch shows now and notice when characters are either reinforcing stereotypes or resisting them. I have also realized why I like some shows and some shows I have no interest in at all.

For example, the show LOST does not get my attention. I kind of watched the first few episodes on and off but then there was a preview for a mysterious creature that also inhabited the island after one of the episodes I did catch. That is completely unbelievable to me. The coherence and fidelity were not strong for the show in my opinion so I stopped even trying to watch an episode. I also noticed that some other shows don’t look interesting to me because of the coherence and fidelity. I tend to be a realistic person so I typically do not like sci-fi shows and movies. However, there are always exceptions that have something extra that draws me in. Transformers was a sci-fi movie with robots coming and invading and aiding the world but the actors pulled me in more than the plot and I really enjoyed the movie despite the fact that I do not believe in robots what so ever.

I have also discovered that my level of necessary coherence and fidelity varies with my mood. If I am in a serious mood everything has to be perfect and make complete realistic sense or else I will hate it. I have a tendency to pick out the littlest things in movies and shows that don’t match up or seem real and it will ruin the movie for me. Little details like basketball movies when they double dribble, travel, don’t play completely by the rules or the game clock is off somehow I get worked up about how fake it is. I now know what that is and why I don’t enjoy movies and shows when they don’t make sense to me.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment