Sunday, January 24, 2010

Social Media Revolution

5 years ago no one knew what MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Plaxo, ect. were. Now, they are the fastest growing social networks in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIFYPQjYhv8

Social media is an important part of daily life for most teens, college kids and adults. Important enough that advertisers spend approximately $1.8 billion annually to display their product name on social media sites.

According to a newspaper study kids are now getting almost 11 hours a day of media. Computer usage came in third place behind T.V. and Audio. The study also stated that 53 percent of 15-18 year olds use social networking sites.

These numbers are only expected to increase in the coming years with the constant technology improvements. The iSlate is getting ready to make its debut and the iPhone sales continue to soar.

The new average age to get a cell phone is eight years old. This makes me feel old since I got my first cell phone at the age of 16. The reason I picked this as a topic was because my eight year old cousin got a ‘Droid’ cell phone from Verizon last week and I was curious to whether this was normal-apparently, it is.

It may seem that I am against this social media revolution. However, if you see me at any point in the day I am probably on my Blackberry texting, twittering or checking my e-mail. While I love the immediacy of the social media revolution there are some days when I feel that I have suffered from an information overload.

However, that does not stop me from checking all of these sources whenever I have a free minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment